Don’t let the fact that this is a two-step recipe stop you — it’s actually quite easy and quick to pull together. To save dishwashing, I used the same pan to melt the chocolate for the molten inside as I used to melt the butter and chocolate for the cake batter. No sense in dirtying more pans than you need to.
Dark Chocolate Molten Lava Homemade Cake Recipe featuring Bailey’s
For the molten gooey center:
- 1/2 Dark Chocolate bar (about 2 oz or 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup organic heavy cream
- 2 oz Bailey’s liquor (or to taste )
For the cake:
- 3.5 oz (the size of one bar) dark chocolate
- 1 stick cold butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour (you could make this gluten free by using cashew flour)
1. In a small saucepan, heat the ingredients for the molten center on medium, stirring constantly. Add the Bailey’s LAST. When the mixture is completely combined, pour it into a freezer-safe container and place it in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden.
2. In a stand mixer, whip the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar on medium for 3-5 minutes.
3. While the mixer is going, melt the dark chocolate bar and stick of butter for the cake batter. Like I said, I just used the same pan as before.
4. When the chocolate/butter mixture is melted, mix it gently into the egg mixture. Fold in the flour.
5. In a greased muffin tin, fill 8 cups about a quarter of the way full.
6. Take the Chocolate/Bailey’s Mixture from the freezer. With a cookie scoop, place a scoop into each muffin cup.
7. Top off each muffin cup until it is three quarters full.
8. Bake in a 400° oven for 15 minutes.Pin It