It’s no secret that meal planning is one of my strategies for keeping sane and organized during the week. For some reason, I never plan breakfast, and then I’m left grabbing whatever I can find — coffee and a gummy vitamin, anyone? Combine that with my realization that I feel much better during the day when I eat a decent amount of protein in the morning, and all of a sudden planning breakfast sounds better and better! But sometimes it’s hard to find healthy breakfast recipes!
I developed this healthy breakfast smoothie recipe in order to have a fast, grab and go meal in the morning that fills me up, lasts till lunch, and is full of nutrition (and low-carb!). Need something even quicker? Try this Frozen Smoothie Mix that I just pull out of the freezer and blend!
Healthy Breakfast Smoothie Recipe
- 1/2 cup milk (can use any alternative or nut milk you choose – I usually use homemade cashew milk)
- 1/2 cup Stonyfield Whole Milk French Vanilla Yogurt (haven’t tried it yet? You HAVE to!)
- 1/2 cup quick oats, soaked in 1/2 cup water
- 1 banana
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (or other nut butter of your choice; can use sunbutter if you’re nut-free)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (optional)
1. Soak the oats in the water for 5-10 minutes. This just softens them up and makes them easier to blend.
2. Add all the ingredients to a blender (I have a Blendtec which I am in love with, but this is also a great moderately priced choice) in the following order: milk, oats (with the soaking water), yogurt, peanut butter, banana (chopped), cocoa powder, and chia seeds.
3. Blend on high for 30 seconds – 1 minute, until everything is completely blended, smooth, and frothy. Serve chilled.
I make breakfast smoothie at night, keep it in the refrigerator, and then just grab and go in the morning. It’s full of fiber and protein, which keeps me full all morning. Plus, unlike a typical granola bar, I know exactly what is in it! And don’t even get me started on those meal-replacement shakes — you know, the ones that have about 35 ingredients. I would so much rather have a freshly made smoothie with ingredients I choose myself.
Want more healthy breakfast recipes? Try my Overnight Yogurt Parfait!
What is your go-to easy breakfast? Tell me on Twitter!
If you’re looking for more delicious smoothies, you will probably love my Pumpkin Smoothie Recipe. Feeling adventurous? Try my Golden Beet Smoothie Recipe. I’m also kinda obsessed with these Double Chocolate Chip Pancakes with Stonyfield Yogurt. So yummy.
Get smoothie recipes delivered fresh to your inbox!