There is a reason that I have been posting SO many beet recipes (including this salad recipe) on the blog recently. First of all, beets are delicious. If you don’t think so, then we don’t have much to talk about. Second of all, beets are THE nutritional powerhouses of the CSA share. Beets are the new Kale.
Why are beets such a nutrient workhorse? Here’s a few impressive facts:
- They are high in sugars (better for taste) but extremely low on the glycemic index scale (which means the body takes longer to process them, instead of converting the sugar directly to fat)
- Beets are a great source of Folate, Manganese, Magnesium, and Vitamin C.
- Beets act as a liver and blood purifer — let’s clean out those toxins!
- Due to their high levels of boron, beets have been PROVEN to be a known aphrodisiac. 😉
- The juice from red beets has been shown to reduce hypertension (high blood pressure)
Have I convinced you yet?
If you’re still not convinced, then you must try this beet salad recipe.
Want more real food recipes and natural living tips? Subscribe to emails and receive a free meal planner!
Easy Paleo Beet Salad Recipe (serves 4 side dishes)
- 1-2 medium beets, boiled, peeled, and diced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- Parsley and chives to garnish
- 2 -4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinagrette
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Combine the diced beets, avocado, onion, and tomato in a large bowl.
2. In a smaller dish, combine the oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and herbs.
3. Dress the vegetables with the oil & vinegar mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Garnish with additional chives or Italian parsley.
Wondering what to do with all that fresh produce? Here are some resources that may help: