As we head into November, my family starts asking me for comfort food: casseroles, pot pie, and my Green Bean Stuffing Casserole. But no one asks for MSG, high fructose corn syrup, or artificial flavors.
My homemade cream soup recipe has been so popular, I wanted to give you even more options to customize it to use in your favorite recipes. Now there is no reason to reach for the canned stuff since it’s easy and quick to whip up a batch yourself with ingredients you probably have on hand. You can even freeze it to make things even easier.
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Tbsp Flour (Gluten-Free? Use Bob's Red Mill GlutenFree Flour or Cornstarch)
- 1/2 cup lowfat milk (can substitute unsweetened soy or almond)
- 1/2 cup homemade chicken broth
- Pinch Pepper
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the flour, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken broth, then the milk, stirring to prevent lumps.
- Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to medium and simmer 5 minutes, continuously stirring.
- Add 1/2 cup of shredded chicken off the bone. Stir into the cream soup mixture on low heat until heated through. I make my own shredded chicken from whole organic chickens that I buy on sale.
- Add 1/2 Cup sauteed mushrooms. I like to give my sliced mushrooms a couple of minutes in a lightly buttered saute pan to soften them and give them some extra flavor.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped, blanched broccoli. Broccoli should be firm, but cooked.
Image with help from Vegan Feast Catering.Pin It