If you are like me and have a substantial stockpile of food in your freezer, here are some helpful tips to preserve everything as long as possible:
- A Full Freezer is a Cold Freezer. A full freezer will stay below 40 degrees for 48 hours, provided you DON’T OPEN IT.
- If your freezer is only half full, you only have 24 hours to keep your food safe.
- A food thermometer is your friend. Toss any food that registers over 40 degrees fahrenheit.
- If the power is out for 2 hours or less, your refrigerator and freezer items should be fine, as long as you keep both appliances closed.
- Stick a food thermometer in your freezer right now. If, when the power comes back on, it reads below 40 degrees, you should be safe to refreeze the freezer contents.
- When in doubt, throw it out. Food poisoning is just not worth it.
What tips do you have for keeping food safe when the power goes out?