These dinner rolls are perfect — part whole wheat, made of real food ingredients, easy to double, and easy to freeze.
I make a double batch, put them in the freezer, then take out 6 at a time when a need a quick complement to dinner!
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup white sugar OR Raw Honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 3/4 cup white unbleached flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, adding the yeast last. Mix until the dough forms a large ball.
- Cover with a damp towel and put in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Get the dough out and knead it on a floured worksurface for 5 minutes. You must knead the entire time alotted or the rolls will be too heavy.
- Put dough back in the bowl with the damp towel over it for 1 hour.
- Roll out dough on a flowered work surface. Dough should be about 1/2" thick.
- Cut into circular forms using a cookie cutter or the outside rim of a glass. I use a lager glass and it works perfect.
- Place the circles of dough on a Silpat lined baking sheet and let rise another hour.
- Bake at 350F for 12 minutes.