I’ll be honest — I’m not a huge Martha fan. There, I said it. Scandalized?
I’m enough of a perfectionist on my own without having to try to live up to some crazy WWMD? mentality. In fact, this recipe (of course it would be a baked good!) is the only Martha Stewart recipe I have every made. And of course, it is amazing. Delectable. Exquisite. And, of course, I have tweaked it.
Mint Chocolate Crackles
(adapted from Martha Stewart Living Magazine, makes 4 dozen))
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup dutch cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
2. Beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Add melted chocolate and peppermint extract.
3. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk to the butter and sugar mixture.
5. Roll each quarter of dough into a log 16″x1″, using an ample amount of confectioner’s sugar to prevent sticking. Cut log into 1″ pieces, roll into balls, and coat with the confectioner’s sugar. Here is my accurate, if completely unartful, rendition:
6. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes.