Well, it’s over. It took 24 hours, about 10 pounds of meat, 4 pounds of shredded cheese, and 1 ginormous zucchini, but my Once a Month Slow Cooker Freezer Cooking from the Stockpile is finally finished.
Overall it went well. I ended up with 5 complete meals and 8 pre-cooked ready-to-reheat meal components.
- Chicken & Stuffing Casserole x2
- Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Brown Sugar Chicken (just add fresh rice)
- 32 Meatballs
- 1 meal’s worth of seasoned taco beef
- Italian Marinated Chicken x2
- Barbecue Marinated Chicken
- Sneaky Mac n Cheesy x2
- Make sure to read every recipe (no matter how many times you’ve made it!) and make sure you have all the ingredients on hand. It was a pain to spread this out over two days because I wasn’t as prepared as I should have been.
- Let me say this: I LOVE my kids and my husband. But this project would have been SO much easier if they had planned to be out of the house while I worked. Aside from the frequent interruptions, it’s hard to pan-fry meatballs with an 18-month old clinging to your leg.
- Clean as you go. I did this and never got really overwhelmed with the mess. I was able to get the kitchen looking back to normal pretty easily (well, our normal at least).
- Let frying oil sit for a moment in the pan before trying to dispose of it. I tried to quickly pour it in an aluminum can and this happened:
- Don’t undertake a plan like this more than once a month. It consumed about 5 hands-on hours, all told, on a busy summer weekend.